- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 to 8 bananas
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla Wafers
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Make Mamma’s Vanilla Custard and let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Make Mamma’s sweetened whipped cream and refrigerate.
- Slice bananas and dip in lemon juice.
- Layer in a trifle dish: custard, wafers, bananas, whipped cream (sometimes the author only puts whipped cream on top).
- Top with additional banana slices, vanilla wafers (sometimes the author crushes these and sprinkles on top) and mint leaves if desired.
Mamma’s Vanilla Custard Directions:
- Mix together the sugar, flour, and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly, then mix with the half & half.
- Whisk the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients in the pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Let boil one minute, then remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- Let cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
*The half and half is a subject of dissension in our family. This recipe originated with my mother, and she has used it as the basis for all her custards for years. SHE uses evaporated milk, 1 can, though the cans aren’t the same size they used to be, and one can of water. I like using two cups of half & half in mine, and have done this as long as I can remember. She maintains (as did HER mother) that it tastes better if you use evaporated milk. I tell you this so that you can decide for yourself. I’ll say this, no one has ever turned down either of our custards. If you try it, let me know which way you did it and how it turned out.*
Sweetened Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
Sweetened Whipped Cream Directions:
Add ingredients to a deep bowl and whip until stiff.