- 3 cups all-purpose flour (I use White Lily)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup COLD butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Grate the butter on a box grater.
- Combine butter and flour mixture.
- Put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Make a well and pour in buttermilk.
- Mix only until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle flour on top.
- Work quickly to keep butter cold.
- Roll dough into a rectangle.
- Fold in half from the short end.
- Roll again.
- Repeat fold and roll 3 times.
- Roll dough into 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Flour a biscuit cutter and cut dough into rounds. Do not twist. Punch straight down.
- Place biscuits on prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush with additional melted butter.
This makes 12 biscuits.