- 4 Roma or plum style tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 diced purple onion, about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 3 fresh limes
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 jar of Stonewall Kitchen Legal Seafoods Spicy Cocktail Sauce
- 1 pound peeled and deveined extra large shrimp (26/30), cooked or raw
- 2 ripe avocados
- Mixed lettuce – typically a mix of romaine, butter lettuce, and red and green leaf lettuce
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- In a large mixing bowl combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.
- Add the juice of one lime and sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the entire jar of cocktail sauce and stir.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator.
- Directions for raw shrimp: Rinse raw, thawed shrimp with cold water and drain well. If the tails are on, remove them. Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. Add a tablespoon of salt. Add shrimp and cook for only two minutes. Drain and submerge the shrimp in very cold water. This cools them off and prevents them from cooking further. Drain well.
- Cut each shrimp into two or three pieces depending on your preference. Add shrimp to bowl of pico / cocktail sauce mixture. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- Just before serving, chop avocados and toss with the juice from one lime. This brightens the flavor and keeps them from turning brown.
To serve as Liz and I do:
- Put salad greens on each plate.
- Squeeze lime juice on the lettuce (just a wedge each). Add some salt and pepper if you like–I
- Drizzle the greens with avocado ranch dressing. I put it in a squeeze bottle to evenly
distribute and because it makes it prettier. Also, I fool myself into eating less dressing this way. Here’s a link to the recipe I use, except I use half Duke’s Mayonnaise and half Greek
yogurt: Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing. Bottled avocado ranch is fine too.
I like Simply Dressed by Marzetti.
- Scoop the shrimp mixture into the center of the greens.
- Surround with a circle of chopped avocado.
- Add some blue corn chips, serve, and enjoy!